Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Clarendon Day 10k 2013 Race Recap

 I figure there is no better way to start off my running blog than with a race recap.

This is the second time I've run the Clarendon Day 10k race.  It is a pacers event that is marketed as the "fastest downhill in Metro DC."  The race begins in Arlington atop the Rosslyn hill and has a nice 2 mile downhill to start. 

The first two miles, obviously, felt pretty good.  I was going at about an 8:10 pace, which I knew was too quick for me to sustain.  The race was not that large this year, with about 1600 participants.  That meant only a bit of weaving on the two lanes they had blocked off.

For anyone that is looking at doing this race, they should be aware that the majority of the race (miles 2-6) are on a highway with very little shade.  It was only about 70 out on Saturday, but WOW was it warm. I remembered this from last year, but this year I didn't let it stop me.  It helped that they'd added more water stations (4) to the course.

I was really happy with my race time: 55:56  (pace 9 min flat).  My nike plus had me coming in at 54:46 for the 10k, but I blame its higher distance/faster pace on my darting around people for the first three miles until I settled in with my group.  The race ends on a slight hill, but it is the only part of the race with spectators, so it gives a little umph to your finish!

The race comes with a free drink ticket to three bars- the best way to end any race!























I was almost two minutes faster than the average race time and over four minute faster than the average female racer.  This is the first time I've ever run a race and been in the top half!  Last year when I ran this, my average was over a minute slower, a 10:14 pace, and I was fairly certain I was going to faint when I finished.  Goes to show what a year of moderate running can do!

Hopefully this bodes well for my first half marathon, coming up this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment