Sunday, October 6, 2013

government can't slow me down

The Wilson Bridge Half Marathon was postponed until November 10.  I have to admit, I was pretty dismayed that I have to continue to keep to a "running schedule." I just wish I could run when I wanted and mix it in with other work outs.  I suppose, if I continued to be furloughed, I could do a mix.  With work and school, though, I only have enough time for about 2-3 workouts a week. Doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

Anywho, in my effort to show the government, I ran a half marathon this weekend anyway.  I plotted out the course on MapMyRun, carbo-loaded the two days before (more on that later), got my water belt all ready and headed out.

I started running down through Old Town Alexandria to get to the Mount Vernon Trail. I love running through Old Town- mostly because my run is always dictated by the green and red lights. When I hit a red light on my way to the waterfront, I turn there.  the run down could span anywhere from1.5 miles to 3.

Then, I headed out across the Wilson Bridge.  The walking paths are just breathtaking, especially in the morning light.  Here's a quick picture I took at mile 5-


Then, once I got over into Maryland, I turned right back around and headed back over the bridge. I went up towards Mount Vernon on the Mount Vernon Trail.  Seriously, this trail has got to be one of the prettiest trails in the nation. One one side of Alexandria, you have gorgeous views of DC and the monuments.  On the other side, you run through marshlands and heavily wooded areas with some great views of the Potomac River.  Although the trail is technically a national park, they apparently can't stop the runners.  Unfortunately, this meant the bathrooms on the trail were closed. That was an unfortunate surprise at mile 6 and 11.

Chip, my fiance, came to cheer me on at mile 9.5 and 12.  He came to pick me up when I finished in Old Town (walking uphill a mile to get back home would have been out of the question). The cold water he brought was a real life saver.  Not to mention the fact that I was seriously considering walking at mile 11 except that i saw him clapping and yelling.  Audience is everything for me :-).

Anywho, the run went pretty well. I am glad I did it because now I have something to work to beat. I wasn't under two hours, like I originally wanted to be.  Hopefully that is incentive enough to keep running for the next month! And, I can now say I ran a half!!




Things I now know that I will fix for next time:
- I am doing yoga the day before
- I am not eating Ruby Tuesday's lobster dip the night before. Or any cheese for that matter.
- I will eat pasta two days before, or the day before at lunch.
- I will have flip flops waiting for me at the end.











Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment