Wednesday, April 22, 2015

First Doctor's Appointment and Physical Therapy, One Week Out

On Monday, I had my first doctor's appointment with my surgeon.  I got my stitches out, and overall, he was really happy with how I was feeling and how things looked.

He reiterated that even though it may not cause me pain to one crutch, or even walk, it does not mean I should be doing it. He said he's seen stress fractures in people who "feel fine" and begin walking without the crutches after two weeks. Even though I feel fine, my body getting used to a thinner bone will take more time. I was hoping I'd be a miracle case and be allowed to walk again right away. No such luck...

PT was not nearly as scary as I thought it might be. My only suggested exercise, in addition to prone laying (fancy term for laying on your stomach), heel slides, and hamstring stretches, is to add in glute squeezes.  To do this, I lay on my stomach with a foam roller under my feet. Taking the pressure off my feet should allow me to better feel when I am flexing my hamstrings and when I am flexing my glutes. I say should because for some reason, I could not get the hurt leg to fire. muscle memory is a funny thing... The one bad part of PT was that one of my little arthroscopic holes is pretty unhappy about no longer having stitches. I guess if a little cut is the worst facial injury I have from this surgery, it isn't so bad, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment