Friday, April 17, 2015

Four Days Post Op: Things I Can and Can't Do

Although the past four days have been filled with ups and downs, I have to say that thus far, my surgery experience has been mainly a positive one. I can do a lot more than I anticipated and my pain is really under control. I'm going to go through what I can and can't do and a brief timeline of recovery.

Downs:
  • I'm immune to the pain-killing effects of hydromorphone. I did not realize this until about 2 a.m. the morning after surgery. After the nerve block and pain killer I'd been given through shots at the hospital wore off about 18 hours after surgery, I was nearing panic. The pain was too intense and unpredictable to sleep and no amount of hydromorphone (Dilaudid) would work. I'd been promised 2 mg would knock me out, but I was taking 8 mg and all it was doing was making me dizzy. My doctor's office didn't open until 8:30 a.m., and when I did call, it took another 4 hours for a doctor to call me back and change the prescription because they were all in surgery. I could not sleep or focus during this time. I didn't sleep for about 36 hours after surgery, until I was prescribed and took extended release OxyContin.
  • I'm not off painkillers yet. I have talked about this a lot with my husband, trying to convince him that I should go off of them. He made a good point; right now, every day I am able to do more and more because I am not experiencing background pain. Pain will slow down my recovery, which is progressing really well right now. I don't have an option to go off the painkillers on a trial basis. Because I switched to slow release pills, one pill lasts 12 hours. The last hour before a pill and the hour and a half after taking a new pill are a little rough. I am looking forward to switching out my oxycontin for tylenol, though.
  • The pain associated with this surgery is like the injury itself- unpredictable. One of the common complaints about FAI is that the pain changes. First, for me, it was sharp, take-your-breath away pain. Then it turned into an ache that got worse the more I moved. The surgery has different pains associated with it. I've had a lot of burning feeling in my top suture. I felt some pinching using the CPM machine yesterday, that felt like nerve pain. Then there is the muscle pain.
It may not look like it, but this is my most difficult exercise, heel slides. 
  • The worst pain is the muscle pain associated with trying to do new activity. My glutes, IT band, and hip flexor are a mess. It feels like someone tied them in a knot. My IT Band and Hip Flexor have surprisingly gotten better quickly, but whenever I add too much weight onto my leg while I am crutching around, my glutes scream at me. and I mean scream. Maybe PT will OK foam rolling? A girl can dream.


Ups:

  • I can mainly get around my condo by myself. I can get off and onto the couch and the bed. I was proficient at this about 72 hours after surgery. At first, it is hard to lift your leg and engage those muscles that are so inflamed. I took advice from another FAI blog, Arthroscopic Hip Surgery, and mastered the art of lifting my bad leg with my good leg
  • I can go to the bathroom by myself. I was able to do this about 24 hours post op. For me, it was more about learning that I wouldn't hurt myself and how to sit down with a bum leg. My mom and stepdad came in for the surgery, and I think we're all very grateful that they don't need to accompany me on bathroom trips.
  • The meds haven't made me sick or totally loopy. I am so so grateful for this; I have read horror stories about how they impact other people's systems. I've been eating mini saltines every time I take pills. I switched painkillers once and need to be on a prescription anti-inflammatory for a month, but thus far I've had very few problems. Like all FAI blogs, I suggest anyone having this surgery eat healthy amounts of fiber each day. 
  • the ice machine is great. I got a DonJoy Iceman with a regular/general water pad and it has been great. I iced pretty much constantly when I came home from the surgery, and now I do it a couple of hours a day. I've always been a big fan of icing, and the machine is great. 
The cord coming out above me is the ice machine. Comfy enough to nap!
  • And the final, most important up is the support I've gotten has been amazing! From edible arrangements galore to flowers, my friends and family have been an amazing support system. this has made me really upbeat. So much so that yesterday afternoon, I went outside on a short (we're talking less than one block) walk on my crutches! Hooray!

ON THE MOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment